Five Pence

The first time I visited the UK was 1992, it was overseas study tour as part of the curriculum of college. I was so excited about travelling abroad for the first time and filled with curiosity. Next, I visited the UK in 1999, it was a sort of business trip and travel cost was paid by my employer. It was the second time, so I already had some British coins.

After I passed immigration at the Heathrow Airport in 1999, I tried to buy a tube ticket from the ticket machine. It said "No Change", so I slotted some coins in the machine, including fifty pence. I didn't know the reason, but only fifty pence was returned. I tried a couple times, but it was the same. So I put different coins insted of fifty pence and bought the ticket. I learn only later that the fifty pence coin was reduced in size in 1997. Mine was a old big coin.

Now it's 2013, right? Over 10 years has passed since then. During last decade or so I visited the UK 3-4 times. I hadn't known about other British coins, but there was no problem.

Today I went for shopping, used self-cashier and had same experience with 1999. Only ten pence was returned. Actually, ten pence was reduced in size in 1992 as well. But a shop assistance peered in the coin and said "it's a old five pence! I remember it! It's 80's!" I had a second look confirms that it said five pence! According to Wikipedia, five pence was also reduced in size in 1990. The old one was similar size to current ten pence, so I didn't notice it. I have absolutely no idea when I got it.

A decades-old five pence was in my wallet. Who would have thought it ???

Left; Current 5 pence/Right; Old 5 pence

Comments

Popular Posts