Autumn

Autumn definitely is here. It's the season when Japanese people enjoy the changing colors of autumn leaves (it's still early though...).

I'll introduce you to one of  the beautiful parts of Japan today from my old album of Japan. This place is called 'To-no-hetsuri', in Shimogo-cho, Fukushima Prefecture. I visited there in autumn 2008 with my parents. It's an interesting name, but it means the row of cliffs in local dialect, because it consists of tower-shaped cliffs. There is a natural lane in the cliff along the river.



A suspension bridge was built across the river so that people can have a closer look at the cliffs. You can see people walking along the cliff.


Actually, I picked this spot to visit with a reason. There is a small unpeopled railway station obscured, near the cliff. It's a single line, and when I went to White Notley in the UK a while ago, the station of White Notley reminded me of this To-no-hetsuri' station. I heard from my mother and grandmother that when my grandfather worked at Japanese National Railways as a station master, he draw up a proposal for building the station here. He died about 30 years ago when I was young, and I wanted to see there at least once. He was a stubborn man but soft with us, grandchildren. I reaffirmed that his plan was right. In fact, a train passed slowly around here so that people can enjoy the view. I am proud of him.





Comments

Popular Posts