Matcha

I travelled alone to Dazaifu, Fukuoka 5 years ago. Fukuoka is far away from my hometown, and has a different cultures, so I was so excited. The purpose was to visit one of the famous shrines; Dazaifutenmangu, which is dedicated to Sugawara Michizane as the god of acadmic achievement.


The approach to the shrine is lined with shops and restaurants, which make you really enjoy browsing and shopping. There are some tea rooms selling a local speciality sweet (rice-cake), which is called 'umegae-mochi'. This name (plum-tree rice-cake) seems to have a relationship with a legend that the plum trees flew to Dazaifu from Kyoto after Sugawara Mizizane had been cast down and sent from Kyoto.

I popped in a cafe restaurant and ordered a set menu; umegae-mochi and matcha green tea. It was yummy:p

I found this picture and I thought it would be the last time I drank a proper matcha green tea. Ahh, I have an urge to have matcha tea and Japanese sweets!


http://www.dazaifutenmangu.or.jp/en

Popular Posts