Ingatestone Hall

This eye-catching clock tower building is the gate of Ingatestone Hall. The building itself stands along among the flat fields, but quite invisible from the outside because it is surrounded by trees.


It's a manor house, which has been belonging to the Petre family since the 16th century. They have resided in this gorgeous house, and it's also open to the public for a fixed period (summer season) and for events. I saw a current owner, he looked casual and gentle:)


When I stepped into the Stone Hall, I felt a great atmosphere as if I was transported back in time to the Middle Ages. This oak-panelled room was a bit dark and heavy but very noble.

The part I found interesting was that there was a narrow priests' hidden place. I'd never seen such a place. The family was staunch Catholic at a time when Catholic practice was illegal, but it seemed the Petres could avoid the unpleasant fate that befell many Catholic families. It is that said fugitive Catholic priests would use such secret rooms to hide from the authorities in the 16-17th centuries. The building stands quietly, but I think it's a great treasure building in Essex.

When I visited there, a 1-hour guided tour was held and it was very helpful to understand rooms, items and history, but also it was a bit of shame that I couldn't browse deeply at my own pace. There was a tea room and a shop as well. If the weather is nice, I think you can spend a lovely time in the building and the garden.

Popular Posts