Hairy Heart

My niece was chosen to win a prize in the best speech contest at school. Unlike me, she is self-assured. I am so proud of her. This is not the first time she was chosen, but the few times previously it was for the essay contest. I think she has a flair for creative writing.

According to her sister, she made a speech at school in front of all students. She was relaxed as usual and mad a great speech with confidence. My sister said that she must have had nerves of steel.

When we say 'nerves of steel' in Japanese, we have an interesting expression. We literally describe 'a heart with hair'. Hairy heart?? I think it's an interesting expression.
A heart is a sensitive organ in your body, so the idea has probably came from if the heart has hair, the heart must be strong. That means you must have confidence.

Popular Posts