Dream Comes True

Two years have past since I moved to the UK. It's amazing. To be honest, I thought I couldn't live here for the rest of my life, when I visited here at first. It was different from travelling or visiting, I suffered too many culture shocks and the big mouse shocks. Unlike in big cities, people looked at me as if I was strange or an alien-like creature. But now, I am here.

When I was about eleven or twelve year old, it was my dream to live in another country, where nobody knew me and there were no Japanese. I thought it must be a short cut to improve my English. I wanted to be a fluent English speaker. Because, you know, I was young, flexible, daredevil and curious. But my dream was a whole different scale for my family at that time, and rejected by reality. Different from nowadays, airfares and everything were expensive. Information was limited without Internet, abroad was unfamiliar for my family and relatives. I wept bitter tears privately. My only access to abroad without making my parents worry was joining in my college's overseas study programme for 3 weeks. So I did. I had gotten really excited for a while with what I saw and heard in the UK.

After I started to work, I was busy about other things. I travelled to other countries as well. After many experiences including marriage, divorce and other split-ups. When I was thirty, I made a decision to go abroad to study English as I had dreamt, as a culmination of my dreams. My destination was Edinburgh, Scotland. I had to change my visit duration from 6 months to 3 months due to various reasons, but thanks to my ex-company, I could keep my position in the company. In Scotland, I felt so rushed to absorb everything which I had missed over 20 years.

We can't assume whether certain things will happen in our lives, can we? After an unexpected turn of events, now, I live in the UK. And then I realised that my dream I dreamt when I was a child, has come true after about 30 years! Compared with my childhood, I lost a baseless confidence which I had before. My English is not so fluent, and I sometimes feel it's a long long way..., but I've engaged in my life with (almost) English only. I am happy that my dream came true.

Popular Posts