Season Sense

I've already mentioned about the Japanese sense of the season in my article 'The Best Aspect of Japan', but I think this season sense has lead to unconscious behaviour for Japanese people.

For example, Japanese people get dressed by the season. I think it should be based on an earlier tradition, because the colours of Japanese kimono have related to the seasons since early times. And students have the days which they change their uniform for spring/summer and for autumn/winter twice a year. Also in spring, once they take off the overcoat or boots, they would never wear them again. Even in a cold day, they wear a spring coat or something to ward off the cold. Some trench coats have a removable quilted liner inside. People adjust warmth by wearing warm inner such as cardigan.

On the other hand, I feel the air temperature in the UK is very changeable according to direction of the wind or duration of sunshine. That's why the British people wear an overcoat again by the air temperature. Some people wear boots and some wear sandals. They seem to wear light clothes inside and adjust their outerwear. Once, I was quite surprised this difference, but now it make sense. 

My theory is just between the two nations. Here, I realised about the Japanese sense of season again. I had lived in Japan for about 40 years, am completely imbued with the Japanese habit. It's a bit difficult to get a dress by temperature for me. I sometimes misread the temperature in the UK. Oh, well...

Popular Posts