Guy Fawkes Night

Many Japanese associate the name of fireworks with summer festivals or the end of summer, and fireworks gradually disappear from shops at the end of August. But I hear and see more and more fireworks around here. Furthermore, a fireworks shop in containers has temporarily opened in a car-park next to a pub. I asked my bf about it, he answered "Because Guy Fawkes Night is coming". I said "I didn't know that." instantaneously, but now I remember he explained it maybe last year. I just couldn't create a image of it.

Guy Fawkes Night (Guy Fawkes Day and Bonfire Night) is one of the biggest occasions for fireworks in the UK, held each year on 5th November, and commemorates the plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament and an attempt to kill King James I. The man named Guy Fawkes, a member of the Gunpowder Plot was arrested. Halloween and Guy Fawkes Night... it's something exciting, don't you think?

October has come, and the weather has suddenly become cooler, the days have rapidly became shorter. In the morning, it's still dark at seven o'clock. Sunday 30 October, you need to change your clocks and watches backwards by one hour. I have an uncanny sense about it, because Japanese don't have daylight savings time. About only two months are now left in this year... I feel time has flown so quickly more than usual, because of the events of earthquake & tsunami, and change of my life.

When I was in Scotland, new housemates came. They were Italian boys and had a morning class at the same English school. On their first school day morning, I heard the doors of their rooms opening and them going out. I was still in the bed and I had thought it was too early to go. Having a dinner together in that evening, they explained that they went to the school one hour earlier, and were in a park to kill time due to the school being closed, because both forgot to change their watches. It was not due to daylight savings time but because of time difference between the UK and Italy. Ridiculous! Neither noticed it until they got school!! --- Oops, I got off the subject...

Comments

Popular Posts