Voting Rate

There was a local council by-election here the other day. In fact, I don't have a voting right, because I don't have a British citizenship. For Japanese to have voting right in the UK means that we would lose our Japanese nationality, because we are not allow to have dual nationalities. So whenever there are elections, we can just watch the progress, for example with the Brexit vote.

The big mouse showed me the result of the elections. There was a three-digit number of people voting. I thought it's small number. I felt odd about the number of votes. I asked him about the voting rate, he said 18%.

'Ha?? e...e...eighteen??? Only eighteen???'

I knew each candidate and their supporters distributed flyers and worked hard to get the vote as much as they can.  I was too ashamed to think that they had a vote-taking-battle in a tiny world. I wonder if the winning candidate could be satisfied with the result? Even though it was a local election, not a general election, it sickens me.

I was involved in a Lower House election campaign in Japan many years ago. I worked hard as a supporter for about a month, from morning to evening. My favourite white pair of pumps was worn out during the campaign. It was a nice experience for me. Luckily he won at that campaign, and I saw how he and everyone worked so hard. I know some people vote, and some don't. I don't intend at all to criticize this, but I was so shocked to see that very low turnout rate. 

Popular Posts