The Shard

Now you can see the new London skyline; the Shard. It's the tallest building in Western Europe. London has been changing as the same as other cities have. The Shard was designed by a famous Italian architect Renzo Piano. The height is 310m (1,016 ft), and consists of office space, restaurants, a five star hotel (Shangri-La hotel), residential space and on the highest floors an observatory deck, and has 11,000 glass panels façade.

Traditionally the London skyline has been low buildings, and I am really not sure modern buildings are good for old cities' landscapes. It's a controversial matter. Always different opinions are expressed regarding modern and eccentrically designed buildings, especially in old cities. Go with the times, or keep tradition. If I was an architect, I would feel confident about design and plan, and also want to challenge to new things. Designing a irreversible building on an old and historical canvas means a big responsibility of landscape and future. On the other hand, if I was conservative city planner, historian or environmental protector, I may disagree with it. Big cities need to promote tourism and city itself at the same time a protecting the local environment. It's a very difficult issue.

But one thing that I can say is that I prefer old, historical and traditional buildings, not only in London but everywhere I go.

The Shard
Address: 32 London Bridge Street, London SE1
Expected to be completed May, 2012. Observatory deck to open February, 2013.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7920 3161
http://www.the-shard.com


Comments

Popular Posts