I Love Summer!

I love summer. I love blue sky and hot weather. We had a wonderful summer holiday in Crete, and now enjoy the life in the UK under the grey-ish sky. Summer events in Japan were my birthday, fire display and the Star Festival.

I received some pictures of Sendai Star Festival from my mother. It started from 6th August, today. There is a jinx that 'there is rain during the festival'. As of the jinx, it seemed rainy... According the weather record of last 16 years, there was rain with more than 55% possibility. It's quite high, isn't it? If there is rain, some decorations become covered by vinyl like the picture below with no roof, because the decoration is made of paper. But you can enjoy the festival whatever the weather is like, because there are shopping arcades. 


Different from other festivals, this festival is calm rather than active. Because you just walk through under the colourful decorations. In other words, you can enjoy seeing and touching this festival at your own pace. Local festivals are likely to become an ordinary event for local people, but I think they are always beautiful.


These consist of thousands of origami cranes to wish world peace. I joined this project when I was a student and made some cranes. I taught origami to children locally during this month. They are so quick to master them!


My mother sends me pictures of the festival every year, and I think I miss it very much. This is the moment that I realise I am from Sendai. These are some other decorations of this year.



Popular Posts