Japanese Era

The Japanese calendar uses unique era names, and the year 2017 is Heisei 29. Usually the new era is named when a new emperor accedes to the throne. If you only live in Japanese society, you probably use 'Heisei year' a lot, but on business, we use both the Japanese system and the Western calendar. To be honest, such a system is a bit troublesome. Sometimes we ask friends or colleagues 'what's the year this year with the Western calendar?' However, something opposite happened after I moved to the UK. I easily forgot about the Japanese year. Because I don't use it.

I was born in the Shōwa era. Saying in an exaggerated manner, just because I was born in a previous era, I feel as if I was born centuries ago.

I think the Japanese monarchy represents tradition very much and is enclosed. I've never seen the kind of parodies of the Japanese royal family like you see of the British royal family. Probably all Japan can do is, like the Prime Minister Abe became Super Mario at the Closing Ceremony of the Rio Olympics... It gave me a sour smile though...

Therefore, the news that Japan's current emperor wants to step down from the throne due to age and health, was sensational, in a sense. At the same time, it's understandable for citizens. I can't understand why it's so complicated to allow for the emperor's abdication, even though the government needs to consider the law.

I read the news that it would be adopted and the new era would likely begin in two years. If Heisei finishes and the new era starts, what's the next name of the era? I may feel I am becoming a living fossil.

Popular Posts