Memory

Words cannot describe my feeling. But it's not a special feeling, everyone knows it at some point. My sister said 'she was smiling like a baby and grumbling something when I met her last time. What did she want to say?'

My grandmother died peacefully at the age of a hundred and one. I couldn't see her and attend her funeral. This is fate for the person who lives far away. I am so sad. I loved her so much. 

She was a very patient, stoical, unemotional, humble and kind person. I've never seen her tears in my life. She was always smiling. She was good at sewing. She had never worked outside the home, but sold some people handmade clothes when she was young. She was born the second girl of four sisters and one brother, and lived longer than any of them.

The big memory between her and me was 'manhole-jump'. When I was little, we often went for shopping together, and always jumped over a manhole. When we lost our balance, we fell to the ground together. She was talking about it every time I saw her. So I wanted her to remember it once again. I draw a picture of her and me jumping a manhole on a card and sent it to her, while she had been in a hospital. She saw the card but she had no reaction, my mother said. She was weakening rapidly. She has gone to heaven while holding my last card. 

I believe she had a happy life. She experienced the war and three huge earthquakes. The video is on Japan about 100 years ago where my grandmother was born.

Popular Posts