Randoseru

Most Japanese elementary schoolchildren have a 'randoseru'. It's a school backpack which is made of leather or leather-like synthetic material. When I was a student, there were only two colours; red for girls and black for boys. But nowadays colours are varied. There are more colourful versions, such as pink, yellow, blue etc...


The price is variable, but not so cheap. It's large enough to hold A4 standard sized files without bending. Also the bands are adjustable for the body size. However, some students look odd because they are tall and big like an adult. Children usually use the randoseru for six years. My grand parents bought it to me when I entered the elementary school. I was small, so they selected a lighter one.

Shortly after I entered the school, my grandparents visited our house. So I excitedly ran back to the house. My new randoseru was shaken up and down on my back. And in front of my house, I tumbled over and a big randoseru for my body fell forward over my head. Consequently I scraped not only my knees but also my nose and cheek. Poor me, that was the first injury at the first grade.

I saw on TV that some European grown-up girls have a randoseru as a fashion. I, as a Japanese can't do that, because I've already had a stereotype image that 'randoseru' = 'elementary school students'.

Popular Posts