Kumamon

I probably mentioned this before, we have an age-old phrase describing four scary disasters 'Earthquake, thunder, fire and father'. The last word is uncertain, but unlike nowadays, 'father' had an air of dignity. And it may have another possible origin of typhoon. A likely explanation is that old Japanese ooyamaji (typhoon) changed into the word oyaji (father) because it sounds similar. In fact, earthquake has been the most scary disaster for Japanese people.

The hometown of Kumamon (http://kumamon-official.jp/; a very popular local mascot character of Kumamoto prefecture) was struck by the powerful earthquakes. And Ecuador as well... Every time I see many damages and people's face filling with sorrow, I feel a lump in my throat... I feel helpless against natural threats.

Popular Posts