A Secret Box

I've owned this wooden box since I was a child. I still don't know who it belonged to or how I got it. Perhaps it was my grandfather's. I don't know. When I became aware of it, it was already old in my toy box. Actually it was so mysterious because I had no idea how long it had existed and slept in the toy box. One day, I notices it, I got hooked to open it, as if it was like a treasure box in a fairy tale. Without an explanatory leaflet nor key, it was difficult to open for a kid.


I figured out later that it is called a 'Yosegi puzzle box', which is a traditional Japanese parquetry. Looks so beautiful, doesn't it? The puzzle box was originated from Edo Period (around 1830) and this type of boxes was designed and created by a craftsman in Hakone, Japan in 1893.

To open a box, you need to slid pieces of its surface in a correct order. Sizes and number of moves to open are varied. Unfortunately, it was empty inside, but I was so excited when I opened it.

If you are interested in this box, you can see;

Popular Posts