Zao

A place of my memories in Japan is the Mount Zaō, which is a complex volcano on the border of Miyagi and Yamagata Prefectures in Northern Japan. I've visited there many times since I was a child. There is a famous crater lake which is called 'Okama' also known as 'five colour pond' as the water colour changes depend on the weather. It was created by a volcanic eruption in the 1720's. When I was young, this view was a bit scary because of the natural steepness and crag of the volcanic mountain. A strong wind often blows. I always have scary images of blowing away or rolling down into the lake, or something like a natural monster swallowing me alive. I have a photo with my dead grandfather here. It's my memorable and precious photo. I was wearing a strip of white and red long socks (and my sister's red and white).


You can see Miyagi Prefecture at the bottom of the mount. Over the towns and villages, it's the Pacific Ocean, where the Tsunami happened.


There are some view spots to see waterfalls.


In autumn, you can enjoy watching autumn foliage. And in winter, the snow monster is famous, which is created by strong wind and snow against the trees and their branches. But the part of roads to Okama is usually closed during a winter (Nov-Apr) because of heavy and thick snow. When the road opens again in April, a several metres high white snow wall appear along the sides of the roads.


On a way back to downtown Zaō, there is Fox Village and also the Zao Cheese Factory. I've never been to Fox Village, but you can see some kinds of foxes there. And at the Cheese Factory, you can enjoy shopping. One of my favourite products is 'Zao White'. It's a 'cheese drink' which is a lactic beverage with a slight cheese flavour. It's popular among local people, at least among people I know. Someday, I want to visit there with the big mouse, a cheese lover.

Popular Posts