A Second Button

My niece left a school and will start a new high school life from this April. So I was thinking about my schooldays.

We have an interesting tradition among students after the commencement ceremony, that girls make a request to a boy in mind or a boyfriend for giving her a second button of his school uniform for a memory. This is always the second button because it's located the most closest to his heart.

This originates from war time, it is said that a girl had kept the second button of her boyfriend who went off to a battlefield. It meant 'always think of him' and 'always with him'.

I am not sure whether this custom is still alive. When I was a student, we had it, but I guess most students didn't know the real meaning. I had someone in my mind at that time, but I wasn't interested in this event. Because it's just a 'button'. So I didn't ask him. Anyway, I became to like him less...

Popular Posts