The Church in Mundon

I visited St. Mary's Church in Mundon, Essex with my friend. It's a Grade I listed small church. It only has the annual patronage service, so inside the building was cold all over. This church is cared for by the charity organisation which is called the Friends of Friendless and preserves over 40 churches and chapels in England and Wales.

From outside and inside, St. Mary's Church was very attractive. It is said that it dates from the 14th century with a brick chancel, a wooden northern porch and bell tower. Once it closed to the public in 1970 and reopened in 2009 after a long restoration.


Stepping inside, I saw the old wooden framework first. I could see the traces of repairs. It gave me the special feeling as if I was transported back in the Middle Ages. The church was so quiet. We were lucky because we were only visitors at that time and could share a monopoly of this medieval atmosphere for a while.


The light from the window led us to the front.




I liked that church's atmosphere. The church has stood there quietly and has watched and known people's lives and history over hundreds of years. There was a feeling of warm spiritual heart. The wall paintings were also very impressive.


This church is located in a very isolated place. There was an old settlement once around there. In the Domesday Book, it was called 'Wringehala', but now it has gone. It's a familiar story, but I wonder what was that community like? I explained my visit to this church to my mother-in-law on a phone call and we found a coincidence that she visited there once before, when she walked in Essex.

Popular Posts