Surname

Japan's supreme court has upheld a 19th century law that married couples must have the same surname. It was the outcome of a trial suing the Japanese government. Was it right? Always an adjudgement against a new matter needs caution. I don't know it was right or not. But at least, in these days of changing form of marriage, such as same-gender marriage, I feel it's an anachronistic attitude.

Usually, a wife takes her husband's surname. It's not peculiar to Japan. I changed surnames for my first marriage and changed back again when I divorced. Every time I changed surname, I had to buy a new seal, apply to renew a passport, bank account etc. etc... It was troublesome.

Now, we use separate surnames. I can do this because of international marriage. In our case, I could decide freely if I use separate surnames or the same surname within 6 months after submitting a notification of marriage to the Japan Embassy. If I want to change my surname from now, I have to get permission of the Japanese family court. Of course I have to pay for it.

Frankly speaking, I didn't change surname only because it's troublesome. Also I couldn't see any merit of it. Now I don't feel any inconvenience at all. If I'm forced to say something about inconvenience, it's hard to be remembered by everyone because of unfamiliar surname. If we have children, the situation would be different.

There are various forms of couples, marriages and families, so why not using separate surnames? As long as Japan doesn't permit using separate surnames, also allowing dual nationality (which is also banned in Japan) must be a long way away.

Popular Posts