How many more nights...?

My sister said that a year usually passes quickly like riding a roller coaster, but this year, it has passed so quickly ever like rolling down from Mt. Everest. I see... as a mother whose children sit for entrance exams, she must be unsettled until they finish. My 2015 has passed quickly as well. I thing because we spent the first few months in my country Japan.

We have a new year's song, which start with intonation 'how many more nights do we have to go to bed until New Year's day? Perhaps you say 'how many more nights do we have to go to bed until Christmas' in Western Countries. To be honest, I've had bitter  experiences on Christmas Eve in the past.

One Christmas Eve, there was heavy snow. We suffered from a power outage, and the road became gridlocked with traffic. My mother was supposed to be back home on time to bring a special treat ice-cream cake, but of course she was delayed. My sister and I were young. We were not allowed to use matches, but my sister lit a candle and stove with a match to survive. We had nothing to do, so we enjoyed drawing with keeping eyes closed by candlelight. Suddenly we could hear and smell something burning. It was my hair fringe. My sister laughed but I was shocked...

Another Christmas in my early 20's, I was supposed to have a date with my boyfriend. He was tall, handsome and younger than me. I had already worked and he was a university student. It should have become a happy Christmas. But without any expectation, I was stood up by him. Unlike in European countries, young couples usually spend a Christmas day together. Couples were here and there in the town, I felt so miserable. I called my friend with a sob, who had a long-distance love, and she came around me to comfort. Later, I knew he had a trouble with his family on that day, but our relationship finished soon...

All now are good and funny memories. I am here after having such experiences. Now Christmas is totally divorced from such miserable events. We are surrounded by cozy and festive atmosphere:)

Popular Posts