British Christmas

How did you spend Christmas day? We had a quiet and relaxed Christmas as usual. I cooked roasted potatoes and chicken, and we enjoyed having mince pie and Christmas pudding. I think they were more British-style this year. Though, I've still looked for our own style of 'British-like-perfect-Christmas'. Christmas decorations, meal, etc... there are a lot of things I want to enjoy during this season, because I am Japanese. Western Christmas is a sort of yearning event for Japanese people.

It's completely different from Japanese Christmas. People work on a Christmas day as usual, and after the midnight of 25th, all Christmas decorations in the town change into New Year's one. (Because New Year is more important for Japanese people). People clean the house and workplace (like spring cleaning in the UK), and do shopping to be ready to get the new year started. Between Christmas and New Year, it become such a busy period like before the Christmas in the UK.

I like Japanese New Year, but I am happy to be able to bask in the afterglow of Christmas in the UK.


Popular Posts