Jikishi-an

Japanese have a specific aesthetic of beauty on transience and imperfection which is modest and humble. It is called 'Wabi-sabi'. It's quite a unique expression. And also it's difficult to translate into English, because there is no exact English equivalent. But I think it resembles to find something inspirational, emotional, sensational, and comfortable from rustic items.

There is a small temple where I can feel 'wabi-sabi' the most, and feel relaxed and having a Japanese mind in Kyoto. That is called 'Jikishi-an Temple'. It's one of my favourite places. Unlike popular sightseeing spots like Kiyomizu-dera, Kinkaku-ji or Ginkaku-ji, it's located in a somewhat isolated place in Kita-Saga, to the west of Arashiyama. I visited there twice; once with friends on a high school trip and another with my friend on a graduation trip.

In the temple, there are notebooks on the table. They are called 'Omoide-gusa Notebooks' in which visitors can write down their own problem, message or impression freely. I think I wrote down something on the notebook, perhaps an impression about the temple but I can't remember it.

Jikishi-an is surrounded by beautiful bamboo trees. The temple building itself was rebuilt in 1899, but original one was built in 1646. The temple is also known for the beautiful coloured leaves in the garden.

Popular Posts