To Cope With Aging

Agggg!! I feel completely getting old...

When I was in my 10's I was totally unconnected with aging, of course. I was an innocent and pure as is the way with children.

In my 20's, it was the moment of alight and bright with happiness. I sometimes forced myself, but I didn't care. Enjoyed social life, pushed myself to be better, attractive and strong. Wearing high heels everyday to cover my complex.

In my 30's it started to begin to decline. I suffered some health problems and stress, but enjoyed working. I told a joke about aging with my friends, but when I think back, it still seems unreal.

But in my 40's, aging suddenly came. It started to develop into a gap between my strength and what I want to do. I still don't know what it will be like in my 50's or 60's, but definitely it's the time to accept and to cope with aging as everybody does. It's an inevitable matter. I can laugh it off as a joke in public but when I meet my own gaze in a mirror alone, especially at night, how scary it is! Even if you can fake your aging for other people, you can't do it for yourself. Perhaps I haven't been ready for accepting, but I have to...

A Japanese waka poet Ono no Komachi (c.825-c.900), who is known for her unusual beauty, wrote;


A life in vain.
My looks, talents faded
like these cherry blossoms
paling in the endless rains
that I gaze out upon, alone...


I don't know how old she was when she wrote this poet, but now I can understand her. I think, in a sense, she was a narcissist, because she had thought she was beautiful by herself like cherry blossoms, a sort of queen of flowers in Japan. How did she cope with it???

Popular Posts