Hashi

My chopstick rests are a lovely cherry blossom's shape. In Japan, a variety of chopstick rests are sold. Every time I found a shop, I feel myself compelled to buy some, but in reality, there are not so many opportunities to use them... Actually, I don't use chopsticks themselves very much in the UK.


In Japanese, there are several meanings of 'Hashi'; for example chopsticks, bridge and edge. There is a famous story about Ikkyu-san, a little Buddhist monk. He had intelligence and wit to solve many problems.

One day, a samurai invited him for dinner and tried to play a prank. As Ikkyu went, there was a bridge in front of the house, and a sign board said that 'Don't cross this bridge (hashi).' But he didn't care and crossed the bridge. The samurai came out and said, 'Didn't you read the sign board, Ikkyu?' Ikkyu said, 'Yes, I did. That's why I walked in the middle of the bridge, not on the edge (hashi)." Clever boy!

Popular Posts