Nihonbashi-Ningyocho

Have you ever heard "Yoshiwara" or "Yukaku"? It was a red-light district in Edo (currently Tokyo). Tokugawa Hidetada of the Tokugawa shogunate restricted prostitution to designated city districts; Shimabara for Kyoto, Shinmachi for Osaka, and Yoshiwara for Edo. I've known about Yoshiwara, but I didn't know where exactly it was. It was in Nihonbashi-ningyocho. Once the old Yoshiwara district burned down in the fire of 1657, and it was rebuilt in the new location near Asakusa.

I strolled around Nihonbashi-ningyocho. It's an interesting area.



I bought a small package of Ningyo-yaki. Ningyo-yaki is a small snack cake in many shapes. It was named after its origin, the Nihonbashi-ningyocho area. I bought shapes of shichifuujin (seven gods of good luck), which are traditional shapes. This snack is a popular Tokyo souvenir.


I also popped in a local tofu shop. If I was a tourist, it's unlikely I would buy it, but I thought it would be nice for a dinner. It's a unique tofu, which was in a real bamboo cylinder. It was rich taste and so nice.

Popular Posts