Interesting City; Tokyo

Tokyo exudes an image of modernity and trendiness, but I noticed that people here, especially in older areas, respect Japanese traditions, more than people in the countryside. In fact, I saw a few rice-cake making events. Also at night, I heard the sound of hyōshigi from outside. Hyōshigi is a simple Japanese musical instrument, consisting of two pieces of hardwood to create a cracking sound. I had wondered what that sound was, but it was used to warn people fire by night-watchmen when patrolling the streets. It's a very traditional way.

If you walk streets, sometimes you can see old wooden houses, old small shops or small shrines, between new steel buildings. It's a bit of an extraordinary view, but that's why walking on a back road is fun.


People have absorbed features of modern and traditional very well. I feel the vibrant culture and get a strong feeling of pride in anything they do. I'm so impressed. I have made an interesting discovery, while I have stayed in the heart of office area in Tokyo.

Popular Posts