Gifts

We are living through a transition period. We sometimes accept new things and get rid of old things. We keep up traditions and also develop them. But one custom we never try to give up, that is 'gifts'. Birthday present, Christmas present, whatever, we always tend to give something to someone, because it's wonderful. Well, I admit I like it, I like to make someone happy and also I like to receive surprises. I enjoy to select special item for someone, but also it sometimes bother myself to decide whether I should buy this or that. Price is no object. Handmade things, cheap things, whatever, people feel happy if it's a little thoughtful and heartful present.

However, it's also the fact that you can't appreciate it easily, because we live in a world of abundance. You can get almost everything you want. You can get new things after another. There is a huge gap of a measure of appreciation between old days and nowadays.

What was the present you were most grateful to received? I can't tell you, because it's not only one. Each present has precious memory. Once I surprised myself that I had really appreciated receiving a piece of sweets after the great earthquake. Of course it was an emergency situation that nobody knew what tomorrow would bring, but I really surprised myself that a tiny sweet, which I could buy anytime with coins caused me a feeling of thankfulness. I thought it must be the one people felt in old times. It must have been more special to them.

My sister's birthday is coming. Nothing special, but I sent her some small presents. My choice was an apron and blue-ish accessories. A fish printed apron is from the V&A Museum shop. She likes to cook and keep things neat, and I know she uses an apron. As for accessories, it's my friend's handmade. I hope she would like them.


Comments

Popular Posts