Hungarian Dances No.5

When my grandfather was in critical condition, I was playing card with my sister and great aunt at his house. I was 9 year-old. It was after we visited him in the hospital. My grandmother and my mother had taken turn nursing. He opened his eyes and stared dully into us. I am sure he saw me, he recognised me. I still remember clearly about his face with a tube. It was the last time I saw him alive.

He died of a stroke, aged 69. When I knew his death, the music of Johannes Brahms' Hungarian Dances No.5 was played round and round in my head. I don't know why it was Brahms', but I couldn't think anything except of this melody. Since then, I don't like this music very much, because it reminds me of that night. It was the first time to confront the loss of my family.

I came across Hungarian Dances No.5 today, and I felt like writing about this. If he was still alive, I wonder what advice would he gave to me?

Comments

Popular Posts