Identity

2014, it's the switchover year of my visa status from Spouse to Indefinite Leave to Remain. I've already passed the English test which is required B1 level, and the Life in the UK test last year. What I need is to collect all documents. I got fiancée visa in Japan using British solicitor, and got spouse visa with much of my husband's help (without solicitor).

The other day, we had a meeting with a solicitor about my Indefinite Leave to Remain. She asked me if  I am thinking about getting British citizenship. To be honest, I haven't thought on it. Some countries allow citizens to have dual nationality, but Japan not allow. That means if you get British citizenship, you must lose your Japanese nationality. I think there are merits and demerits and situation is vary, depends on person, so it's hard to deny all of them. I understand it's the national rule, but also I think it's a bit ridiculous. Because I can chose my future, but I can't change the fact that I was born as Japanese. It's an unchangeable fact of the life. It's not a option, it's the fact. The rule can't change any identity. Even if I choose British citizen, I speak Japanese, I have a family in Japan, I had spent there almost 40 years, and obviously British citizenship will be ostensible nationality under the rule. I know there are other aspects.

What's my identity? I'd never thought about it seriously when I was in Japan. But here, I 'FEEL' it more than ever without thinking. It's because being watched, speaking English without fluency etc. Every moment makes me feel that I am what I am.

Interesting thing is that when we translate the English word 'IDENTITY' into Japanese, there is no perfect muching word, so we say 『アイデンティティ(aidéntəti)』  as a imported word.

Comments

Popular Posts