2014 Calendar

My mother sent me a 2014 calendar with beautiful pictures which are painted by Takaaki Enoki. He is one of my favourite Japanese actors/watercolour artists.

I first knew him when he stared in the Japanese period film 'Heaven and Earth'. I attended its Sendai premiere, and listened director and actors' talk about the film. 'Heaven and Earth' is originally written by a Japanese author Chogoro Kaionji (1901-1977). I read this book from my grandfather's belongings, which was one of his favourites. That's why I am interested in this film. It's a story about daimyo (a feudal lord) Kagetora (aka Uesugi Kensin) who must protect his lands and his people from the ambitions of the warlord Takeda Shingen. It's a one of the famous battles include the Battle of Kawanakajima.

Takaaki Enoki stared this film in for a world famous Japanese actor Ken Watanabe, because he was diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia, while filming Heaven and Earth in 1989 (he returned to acting and has received Academy Awards and some other nominations for his role in 'the Last Samurai' as the best supporting actor.)

I thought 'wow' because Enoki was selected as a starring role and did a quite well in the film. Also I thought 'wow' because he is good at painting as well! In my opinion, he is a good actor in period drama, but not so good in modern nor love drama (sorry!). Anyway, these double 'wow' factors made me interested in him.

Well.., the point is my mother knows my favourites and I got this beautiful calendar!

Comments

Popular Posts