Senile Dementia

My grandmother is now 98 years old. She was in delirium after she had foot surgery several years ago. According to a doctor, it is often caused by drug effects, especially for older people. She didn't remember that she broke her leg and couldn't walk, so she tried to stand up and to walk. For her safety, she was temporary strapped into her bed in a hospital. It made her being in delirium. She disordered unmanageably. She confused doctors and nurses with police, and got it into her head that she would be sent to a shelter or somewhere... Poor grandmother.

Now she lives with her son. The surgery promoted her senile dementia. My uncle has looked after her, and also his siblings have helped him and my grandmother. Since a couple months ago, my parents have accepted her to stay over two nights once a week and looked after her, because my uncle has been tired. My mother said the care is a very tough work.

My grandmother is sometimes forgot their family and me as well. She was very humble and modest woman, but now sometimes she becomes selfish and stubborn under the dementia status. I was a mammothrept, and spent many times together when I was young. I walked hand in hand with her, and jumped every manhole covers on our way to shopping everyday. I learnt many things from her, including sewing and crafting. Those were the days...

So, I was very happy to talk to her just the way she is. She looks forward to see me again.

Comments

Popular Posts