White Notley

It was only us who got off the train at White Notley Station. It was a ghost station. White Notley is a small village. According to Wikipedia, the name is supposed to have been derived from the Old English (Anglo-Saxon) “knut” and “ley” (meaning “nut pasture”).


There was an interesting road for me. The road splits into two; one part is a bridge, and another seems like a flooded road, but it is called a "ford", and you can walk through in the river and cars as well, because this is usually shallow.


White Notley is a quite a nice village, and I saw many beautiful English gardens. These kind of views gave me an idea and inspiration about our garden.


Is White Notley famous for Duck Race??? Also I found an interesting sign "CAUTION DUCKS CROSSING", unfortunately, we didn't come across any ducks though...



We visited an old church, but the door was locked. There was a large graveyard. Some old graves were covered with long grasses, looked crying with solitude without visitors.

A 10th Century Church in White Notley
When we went back to the village centre, we walked along a narrow path, where many nettles grow. Nettles have many hollow stinging hairs, and is known that they produce a stinging sensation when contacted by humans. On that day, I was wearing shorts and sandals. He said "I'll hold nettles by my foot for you." At the same time I thought how gentle he is, he took a step forward before I finish crossing. Ouch! A long nettle was off from his foot and turned swiftly onto my leg. I started to get a stinging sensation. In my mind, I shouted "Hey, weren't you looking?" as I was controlling my feelings... He said he didn't mean for this to happen and gave me dock leaves, which has analgesic properties against nettle stings. The dock leaves were effective. My leg had red spots and I learnt how you feel if you touch nettles. Thanks. After that happened, we had a nice lunch at the lovely local pub in White Notley.

Our strolling in Essex will continue.



Comments

Popular Posts