The Bankside Walk

The London Olympic Games have started!! It has been getting busy in London.

The other day, I went for a stroll along the River Thames. Started from London Liverpool Street Station. Passed the Monument and walked under London Bridge. There is the Bankside Walk, a wonderful place for a stroll. Sometimes you will enjoy the view of the opposite shore, sometimes you will pass under the bridges or buildings. But the path prevents you from being bored. Under Blackfriars Bridge, you will see historical pictures of London.


I crossed the Millennium Bridge to go to Tate Modern. From the cafe of upper floors of Tate Modern, you can see the Millennium Bridge and St.Paul's Cathedral.

Near the Tate Modern, there is Shakespeare's Globe, which is a reconstruction of the Globe Theatre. It was destroyed by fire in 1613 (rebuilt in 1614 and demolished in 1644), and built close to the site of the original theatre.

Shakespeare's Globe


I was concerned about an old ship from opposite shore, but it was Sir Francis Drake's ship (English sea captain; 1540-1596); the Golden Hinde. Some school groups of small children visited there. 

 the Golden Hinde

Southwark Cathedral

I passed the London Dungeon. It remains the popular attraction for young people, there were students in the queue. I've never enjoyed this kind of attraction, because I don't like horror houses or spooky things. My husband said he went to there once, and it was nice, but he thinks Tower of London is not so good. Hang on, are you saying artificial spook is much better than real? I've never entered theTower of London, but I prefer Tower of London.

I passed Hay's Galleria, there are many nice shops, restaurant, cafe and so on. And again, I came back to the waterfront. You can see the huge HMS Belfast and then City Hall.
HMS Belfast


Now you can see Tower Bridge clearly. There is the Olympic mark this year.

Tower Bridge
Once I skipped to cross Tower Bridge, and continued to walk along the path. It's a back side of Butlers Wharf Pier, which the old spice warehouses and water frontage were renovated in to flats. There are nice restaurants and shops around here. Police officers on horseback passed by on patrol, that is found only in Europe.




I turned at some point, I crossed Tower Bridge. It was over twenty years to the day since I accessed it for the first time. At that time, it was under repair and covered with white sheets.


A part of the views in London has been changed into much more modern and unique.


Tower of London
There, Tower of London. It was crowded with visitors. I've never got inside the Tower of London, but I'm interested in it. After I passed Tower Hill tube station, I walked towards the north. I came across a street market, in which maybe many African and Middle Eastern people sold beautiful textiles. And then, I saw Christ Church Spitalfields on my right hand side, which is a white building. Finally I arrived at Old Spitalfields Market, near the Liverpool Street Station. This market is nice to see around. It was really nice strolling.

Comments

Popular Posts