Patriotism

We went to Chelmsford this morning. The train for London was very busy with people who went to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee. According to the news, passengers at some stations were left behind to wait for later trains. I wonder if they have enjoyed the Jubilee. There has been big events in London including the Queen palade and the Thames River Pageant, involving over 1,000 boats! Unfortunately it has been raining.

The Queen isn't the only British Monarch to celebrate a Jubilee.  Queen Victoria celebrated a Diamond Jubilee, and George III celebrated a Golden Jubilee, during their reigns. "Who is Britain's greatest ever monarch?" I found the interesting article in the Sunday Telegraph (ICM survey) today. Elizabeth II comes out on top 35%, Victoria 24%, Elizabeth I 15%, Henry VIII 3% and HenryV 1%. I can't vote for this without studying more British Monarchs though.

Many Union Jacks are present everywhere. I also felt the celebratory atmosphere at the station today! I heard patriotic music and excited staff's announcement voice from speaker! If only the weather was fine, it would be much nicer.

Comments

Popular Posts