Death and the Maiden

We went to see the play "Death and the Maiden" at the Public Hall in Witham. When was the last time I went to see a play? I've seen some musicals and films but haven't seen a play for a long time. It was "King Lear" by William Shakespeare in Japanese, maybe several years ago. Also it was the first time to go to the Public Hall, where is located about a 15-minute walk away from our house. The hall is not so big but there was a bar as well and full occupancy last night.

"Death and the Maiden" is a 1990 play by Chilean playwright Ariel Dorfman. It's a famous play. In 1994, it was adapted into film that starred Sigourney Weaver, but I hadn't known about it until I saw the play. It's a thriller story about a woman who believes that a stranger who comes to her home with her husband is the doctor who tortured and raped her many years ago, under a military dictatorship. And she gets revenge against the doctor. The characters in this play are three; a woman, her husband and the doctor.

I really enjoyed watching the play. I could concentrate on seeing and listening. It made me realise once more that it's nice to see a play sometimes.

Comments

Popular Posts