School Building

Ten months have passed since the earthquake happened. As of 12 January, 3,450 people are still missing, even with search parties operating to find them. People who lost their houses and possession now live in temporary housing provided by local governments. They can live there for two years, but they still suffer from a high degree of anxiety for their future. I feel there are large differences of feeling by individual or region.

When I started primary school, the school building was repaired due to the earthquake of 1978. We studied at a temporary prefabricated building in the school yard. We were pleased to move to the new building after repair work finished. I think that it was when I was 2nd grade. The primary school I went to is located within a 10-minute walk from my house. That building has been closed and students now study at other buildings. It has been decided that the building will be demolished and rebuilt because the basement was hugely damaged. It will take a year for demolition and two years for rebuilding. I'm sad to hear that the buildings which hold so many memories will be vanished away, but the new safe building will be good for the children. Over 50 school buildings have now closed in Miyagi prefecture.

Comments

Popular Posts