Hatsumoude

Hatsumoude means New Year's visits to shrines. Most Japanese visit shrines not for religious reasons, but rather to pray for things such as good health, business prosperity and hold a mass. I visited Tosho-gu in Sendai this morning, where I always visit at New Year's. Tosho-gu shrines are found throughout Japan. I was born in the hospital located close to Tosho-gu in Sendai, so it's a familiar shrine for me. Unfortunately the hospital was closed several years ago...

Usually there is a long queue on New Year's Day.
The morning of 2nd January is the best time because many people goes to Sendai New Year opening sales:)

There is a long flight of stairs. People slowly climb up stairs.


There are still traces of the earthquake in the shrine grounds.

I prayed for happiness and a healthy year. And also I bought Omamori (a lucky charm) and drew Omikuji (sacred lots) because of my tradition. Omikuji tells your fortunes for the year, you choose one from a box. Mine was 'Future blessing'. Mmm...it was not so good. When the prediction is not good, attach it to a trees or wires in the shrine grounds.

Comments

Popular Posts