Ipswich-1.

I had a day trip to Ipswich, the county town of Suffolk. The name of town means "Harbour or trading centre of a man named Gip", and the name was pronounced Yip, because this initial wasn't a modern g but a yogh.

After leaving Ipswich Station, you cross the Orwell River and follow Princes Street to get the town centre. It takes about 15 minutes. This time I popped in the Ipswich Tourist Information Centre, which is situated in the medieval building of St Stephen's Church in the town centre. A staff recommended some places to visit as a day plan, and also told me lovely streets to walk. I didn't have any plan, so I visited places she suggested and had a nice day in Ipswich.

At first, I visited the beautiful Tudor brick Christchurch Mansion, only five minutes walk from the information centre. It's really nice place to visit, you can explore each room inside the Mansion, and feel the past, 16th-19th century. I liked the room of Victorian toys and also the servants' area. It's worth seeing and admission is free. I had a lunch there and walked around Christchurch Park.





There are art galleries and a museum on High Street. I only visited the museum, but it was wonderful. At first, a huge life sized stuffed mammoths catch your eyes in the first room. The room is filled with examples of the variety of animals, birds and fossils, as well as Ipswich history and historical items.

There are many churches in the town and also you can enjoy looking at old buildings. Ipswich is a mixture of new and old. For example, Ancient House has the decorative plasterwork and carvings added in the 17th century, now it's the kitchenware shop Lakeland. You can walk through lovely paths and see Town Hall and some other old timbered houses.

Ancient House

Town Hall
I also visited Ipswich Waterfront, with new marinas, restaurants, bars and so on. Also the restaurant on a ship looked nice. I think this area was renovated using old buildings, but there are still messy ruined buildings and they were not attractive. But the view of marinas was nice.








Comments

Popular Posts