Umbrella

Yesterday evening, my bf came home soaking wet. He said it was raining hard in London. He usually doesn't have an umbrella, but he finally bought a folding umbrella. English people don't use umbrellas much. At first it was a bit mysterious for me, because England is the country where gentlemen of the past often carried it merely as an accessory, and ladies used parasol, so it wouldn't be surprising if such culture developed in the UK (and European countries).

But I'm sold. Type of rain are different. It's more likely to have steady rain in Japan, whereas it's more likely to have intermittent showers in the UK due to flow of clouds is very fast and weather is very changeable. I don't want to carry a umbrella as long as I'm staying here. Last time I had an interesting experience. I could see it was raining a few meters ahead of me, but I was under the sun, and I got into the rain!

In Japan, a umbrella is must-item because we have a lot of rain. We have rainy season, typhoon season and sometimes watery snow in winter. Most people have one at least, some keep a holding umbrella in the office as well. Plastic umbrellas are also available, usually costing from 100 to 500 yen at one coin shop or convenience stores. Lovely designed rubber boots are also popular among young women, and fashion raincoats and bags for wet umbrella are available more recently. Even in the sunny day, many women use parasol because of the trendiness of having white skin. UV radiation is known to age the skin, and ultraviolet rays can cause skin cancer. So, UV is the great enemy of beauty for them. My sister is unusually careful about UV. She never stops trying to use UV protection cream. When she drives a car, she wears long gloves, and also she likes wearing hat under the sun. What about me? I spread UV protection cream very roughly on my face, and am lazy to spread it on my body. If my sister is right, I'll be a spotted old woman or die with skin cancer...

Whatever the reason, seems like the former gentlemen's accessory's impracticality does not suit the modern man. What a shame, it's a sort of collapsing tradition! :)

Comments

Popular Posts