No Food Please!

I heard there was an earthquake (intensity 5 low) in Japan today, but my family and my house were fine. I wonder when it will really calm down? My life is now far from the lives of people in Tohoku region in Japan. I have peaceful days here but never free from worries about it.

Every day I go out. The small river was swollen after the rain last night, but not flooded. I walked the same as usual and went to the same cafe I popped in yesterday. There was the same barista. I ordered a white coffee and he added "small and semi, right?" That means small size with semi-skimmed milk. He remembered me. That's nice, it's probably a sort of my privilege here, as an Asian (easy to remember me), or maybe he  just has a good memory.

Glancing around, there was the same group of old people at the same table. I like this cafe. It must be  an excellent social occasion for local people. I can spend a few hours, concentrate on reading a book, and also enjoy people watching.

Later, I went to the library. It's a small library but one of the comfortable places in this town. I went upstairs and sat by the window. There are lot of English history books I like. Some are difficult to read, but I can view many pictures and illustrations. I was reading some facts in a history book. An interesting thing was that one of the reasons that Henry VIII had so many residences was because of the problems of sanitation. Places would become uninhabitable and the court would had to move on while the buildings were cleaned. But after the innovations at Hampton Court to supply fresh water, it improved the sanitation and therefore allowed a long stay. 'Aha!' I thought. I always see the historical buildings, but had never thought about such reasons. It was a new discovery and an interesting viewpoint for me.

Suddenly a man sat across from me. He put out a laptop computer from his rucksack, and opened it. I thought there were other vacant tables, but it was fine, he probably wanted to use a socket, but is it OK here? How generous... no, how can that be? In the next breath, he opened a paper bag rowdily and started eating chips! I was amazed. Hey, is it OK to eat in the library here?? Usually 'NO FOOD OR DRINKS ALLOWED INSIDE and BE SILENT' is the rule in the library but is it OK?? Should I mind??? But it was really a yummy smell... Soon, a library staff member came and gave him a few words of warning about it because of the smell and said to go to the lobby. See. He picked up his computer, rucksack and chips with mumbling complains and went out. It was the quite funniest and most amazing event of today.


Comments

Popular Posts