Dignity

A typhoon is on its way to Japan. In Japanese there is a saying; Jishin-kaminari-kaji-oyaji. It literally translates to ‘earthquakes, thunderbolts, fires, fathers’, arranged in order of fear of natural disasters. Fathers are not a natural disaster, of course. The original phrase was not ‘oyaji’ (fathers) but ‘ooyamaji' (typhoons). There is a pun due to similar pronounciation. In past times, fathers were dependable, had great dignity, and were a little frightening for kids, unlike nowadays. Earthquakes, thunderbolts, fires, typhoons - that makes sense.

My grandfather had great dignity, though he was soft on us (his grandchildren). Every time we met, he made me write a short letter to him that ‘I want you to live a long time’. It was almost a peremptory demand, but I wrote it because I wanted to see a delighted look on his face. He had a habit of saying that he wouldn’t live long because he ate a lot of delicious foods. True to his words, he died at the age of 69, I was 9 years old. He probably wanted to negate his thoughts by his grandchildren’s letters.

He was a stationmaster, strict about time as a railway timetable, and stubborn as well. I’ve heard that when he was a young man, he got into a quarrel with his boss. He got angry and stood on the boss’s desk with his shoes on. (In Japanese culture this is considered very disrespectful and impolite - like soiling the desk with his shoes). Consequently his salary was delayed. There are a lot of interesting episodes about him. I loved him very much, and I still love him. After he retired, he learned Japanese calligraphy to become an instructor, but he couldn’t get a qualification during his lifetime. He wanted to move to his house in Iwaki-city, Fukushima, but he died before he had time to do so. These are my memories with my grandfather, a respectable man of great dignity.

Since when did fathers lose respect and dignity?

Popular Posts