The Gold Seal

Last May, I travelled to Fukuoka by myself. Fukuoka is a city in Kyushu Island in southern Japan. I visited the Fukuoka City Museum to see the famous Gold Seal. If you are Japanese, I think you’ve definitely seen it in history textbooks.

Nakoku (aka Na no Kuni) was an ancient Japanese state, assumed to be located near the modern Fukuoka City around the 2nd century. It still has a lot of mysteries. According to the ancient records, Emperor Guangwu of the Han Dynasty (China) granted Nakoku a gold imperial seal. Over 1500 years later, in 1784, this seal was discovered by a Japanese farmer. It was a great discovery, and it verified the fact of the existence of Nakoku. The letters on this seal read ‘Kan no Wa no Na no kokuo' (the king of the Na state of the Wa (Japan) of Han Dynasty). The seal was representative of the diplomatic policy of the Han Dynasty of China (206 BC – 220 AD).

I had thought that the gold seal was as big as a fist or bigger, but it was as small as a rubber. And incredibly to me, the seal glittered! It was in a tall-glass case and a guard was always sitting facing it, very closely. I looked the seal carefully, but the guard's eyes bothered me a little bit, because in front of the case, there was only me.

As well as the gold seal, other display items were quite interesting for me. The culture and history of Kyushu was significantly different from Northern Japan. It was heavily influenced by other countries. If time permitted, I would like to study it very carefully.

Fukuoka City Museum
©i-ADNES



Popular Posts